Astronomer by night, astronomer by day! Observe the closest star to Earth during the day with the Vespera solar filter. The filter allows you to observe sunspots (dark spots) that show the intensity of the Sun’s activity.
Photograph the Sun with Vespera
The Solar Pointing mode allows you to observe the Sun in almost real-time using the live display*. Capture photos at any time from the Observation tab of the Singularity mobile app.
Sun spots observed on 12/07/2022 with the Vespera solar filter.
Take several shots at different times of the day, week or month and compare your photos. Witness how the Sun’s activity changes with the appearance or disappearance of sunspots. These can have a life span of several days, more rarely several weeks.
Sun spots monitoring
- Automatic video recording for solar/planetary observation is not yet offered in Singularity. To make an animation, retrieve your photos in jpg format from Vespera’s internal memory and put your photos together using photo/gif animation software.
- The Solar Pointing mode is not yet suitable for observing solar eclipses.
*Continuous display of photos with a unit exposure time of 250µs
The filter is made of a metalized foil with a dimming effect. It will reduce the amount of light and allow you to observe the Sun in a way that is safe for your instrument. You will be guided through every step of your adventure by the Solar Pointing mode of the Vaonis Singularity app, to ensure the observation runs smoothly and that you and your instrument are safe.
Learn more with our blog article Observing the solar activity with Vespera.
- Your Vespera station should never be pointed towards the sun unless a solar filter is installed.
- You can only use Vespera to observe the sun using the Solar Pointing feature of the Singularity app and the solar filter specially designed by Vaonis. The use of any other means to observe the Sun (pointing by coordinates, pointing by hand, use of any other filter, etc.) would void your warranty in the event of damage to your equipment. (see Warranties below).
- Never look directly at the sun without adequate protection. Direct observation of the sun without protection and without a solar filter, even for a short time, can lead to serious eye burns and potential loss of vision or even blindness.
- Do not attempt to open the lens ring that contains the filter (see Warranty below).
Instructions for use
Introduction: In order to use the Solar Pointing mode, your instrument must have been used at least once at night for the solar pointing to work.
Designed specifically for Vespera, the filter fits easily and discreetly into the optical arm. During daylight hours and with the Vespera lens protected from direct sunlight, remove the standard lens ring and replace it with the solar filter until you hear a click. The fixing ring that holds the solar filter is equipped with an electronic card that allows Vespera to detect it.
To verify that the solar filter is properly positioned, connect Vespera to your mobile device and launch the Singularity app. In the Space Center, click on Solar Pointing and follow the step by step guide.
- The filter is delivered in a transparent storage box. Store the filter in its box after each use to avoid dust build-up.
- If you notice any streaks or dust, gently clean the filter with an anti-static cloth, feather duster or air blower.
- To avoid damaging the surface coating, do not spray the filter with cleaning agents, but use a mist instead.
If your Vespera or the Singularity app detects a problem when installing the filter, you must immediately stop observing the Sun and start the installation of the solar filter again following the instructions on your device and the instructions for use. If the problem persists, you can visit our website www.vaonis.com/contact to contact our support department.
Observing the sun without following the instructions above and the instructions for use presents a high risk to your instrument, including the risk of overheating its components and the risk of fire. You are also exposing yourself to a significant health risk due to possible unprotected viewing of the sun which can lead to irreversible eye damage.
In the event of non-compliance with our instructions for use and/or non-observance of the above instructions and/or those available in our app relating to the Solar Pointing functionality, the legal warranties applicable to our products may be void. In particular, you will be responsible for the costs of repairs to our products as a result of such failures.
You benefit from a legal guarantee of conformity and the guarantee against hidden defects for a period of 2 years from the delivery of the product.
Any warranty is void in the event of damage or deterioration resulting from:
- misuse, negligence, lack of care or maintenance by the user
- normal wear and tear of the Product
- improper use of the Product
- an external accident or improper storage conditions and/or protection of the Product by the Customer
- the liability or interference of a third party with regard to the Product, a misjudgment by the Customer of their needs, or any modifications made to the Product
- intentional or malicious damage
- external events: fire, explosion, water damage, lightning, storm, electrical surge, etc.
- falls, knocks, impacts, scratches, oxidation
- the Product being opened up and disassembled by the Customer.